South African milktart a.k.a Melktert, is a South African dessert consisting of a sweet pastry crust with a creamy filling made from milk, flour, sugar and eggs. It is similar to a custard tart but it’s made with more milk than eggs. It looks and tastes great with cinnamon sprinkled on top.
Preparation time: 30mins
Cooking time: 20mins
Ingredients for the crust:
- 280 grams flour
- 227 butter (not soft)
- 1 large egg
- 15 grams sugar
- 2 tbsp ice Water
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Slice the butter in thin slices.
- Add the sugar and ice water and well beaten egg to the butter.
- Sift the flour and baking powder over the mixture and very gently mix the mixture by working it with your finger tips.
- Place the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 2 balls. Grease 2 pie dishes (32 oz. (1 liter). Press each ball onto a pie dish. Make sure it is evenly spread, the crust will be very thin if you use 2 pie dishes, and prick with a fork, it works just as well. Use fingers to make a pattern at the edge of the dish, or use a knife to cut a straight edge at the rim of the dish. Bake for 10 -12 minutes until edge browns
- In a separate bowl, mix together 2 1/2 tablespoons flour, cornstarch, and 1/2 cup sugar. Add beaten eggs to sugar mixture and whisk until smooth. Slowly whisk mixture into milk. Return pan to heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 5 minutes. Pour half of mixture into each pastry shell. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Chill before serving.
Ingredients for the filling:
- 15 grams butter (not soft)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ltr Milk
- 120 grams flour
- 200 grams sugar
- 3 eggs
- Vanilla Essence
- Cinnamon Sugar or Roasted Coconut.
- Mix the butter, salt, sugar and flour together with your fingertips until crumbed.
- Place the milk in a saucepan and bring it to boil, reduce to very low, very slowly add the crumbs little by little stirring with an egg whisk. Be careful not to burn the milk or to work to quickly with the crumbs as it can form lumps. Let it simmer for 5 minutes, just make sure it does not burn. Remove from the stove. Let it cool slightly. Add the 3 beaten eggs to the mixture. Mix well. You can use an electric mixer set to the lowest intensity.
- Add 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence Mix well. Place the mixture in the prepared dish or dishes and bake for 10 minutes.
When cooled sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or coconut.